Speaking of the Simpsons, I have been in Portland, Oregon this week. Matt Groening grew up here, and there are references all over the place:
• The Simpsons live on Evergreen Terrace, the same street on which Groening grew up (I will be going here with my friend Glen sometime this week!)
• Sideshow Bob Terwilliger shares a name with Terwilliger Boulevard in SW Portland (Groening denies this)
• The former Trojan Nuclear Plant, north of Portland, supposedly inspired Homer's job
• Ned Flanders was named after Flanders Street, Mayor Quimby was named after Quimby street
• Bart & Lisa's elementary school resembles Groening's childhood school, Ainsworth elementary
• Reverend Lovejoy was named after Lovejoy Street
So, I am surrounded by The Simpsons and tonight I will be rooting for The Canadiens…wow!