Well, there are a couple more things that matter. But hockey is definitely towards the top of my list.
This is the 27th hockey-related t-shirt I have worn this year (see links below).
Thanks to my wonderful mom for donating this one (and many of the other 26 hockey t’s)!
So with all of these hockey t-shirts, I guess I should back it up with some words of support for hockey.
Here are my top ten reasons why hockey is the best sport on earth:
- You have to be highly skilled as a skater to even think about playing it.
- Every goal is huge – it could be a 1-0 game or a 6-5 game.
- If you’re good enough and/or fast enough, you can play at the NHL level and be only 5’5” (see Nate Gerbe, Brian Gionta).
- If someone on the other team is being an asshole you can fight them, take a 5 minute break, and return to the game.
- It has the best trophy – The Stanley Cup has all the players’ names that have ever won it, and the players who win each get it for a day.
- The sportsmanship – After every playoff series, the two teams line up and shake hands (and they mean it).
- Powerplays and penalty shots
- Sudden Death Overtime in the Playoffs – It’s better than any MLB, NBA, or NFL overtime playoff game and 99% of the time there’s no bad call, missed foul, or coin flip that affects the outcome.
- Toughness – Hockey players are the toughest professional athletes out there, period (I guess you could argue pro fighters/boxers are tougher, but they are fighting, it’s not a game).
- Can you imagine trying to get a group of people together at 9AM on Thanksgiving morning to play any other sport? We’re playing on Christmas Eve morning, too!
So, yeah, I love hockey. I love playing it, watching it, going to it, and video gaming it!
Here are my favorite hockey sites:
Hockey Fights Cancer: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25343
And my hockey t’s: