THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED!

All of my 365 t-shirts from 2010

Friday, January 1, 2010

Intro and T-shirt #1: Bruins Alternate Logo


I have been joking with my family and friends that I want to have 365 t-shirts so I can wear a different one for every day of the year. I have no idea how close I am to this ridiculous goal, but those close to me have been very supportive in helping me reach it. Whenever they see a t-shirt that reminds them of me (usually a sports, Star Wars, or funny shirt like “Titanic Swim Team 1912”), they either buy it for me or tell me where to get it.

Although I cherish every t-shirt that I wear, I have come to realize (through two close friends who recently moved and gave many of their belongings away) that I simply do not need them. But, I can’t just simply give them away. Welcome to my t-shirt blog: I will share a picture of the shirt I am wearing that day along with a story or stories that go along with it. I will see how close I get to 365, and I’ll figure out a way to give them all away to people that need them more than I do. I hope you enjoy….


T-shirt #1: Bruins Long Sleeve Alternate Logo

This will be the first of many Bruins t-shirts along the way, so for today I will write about what the Bruins mean to me most: my family. A week after my parents welcomed their first child into the world (my older brother Jon), the Bruins won the Stanley Cup…on Bobby Orr’s overtime goal…on Mother’s Day in 1970. The Bruins were there when this family started, and have been there all the way until today when I watched (with my mother and two sisters) them beat the Flyers in overtime at the Winter Classic at Fenway…(my father and older brother were actually there).

Here are a few of my favorite family related Bruins stories from 1970-2010, with more to follow when I wear another Bruins shirt.

  1. In 2008, my Crohn’s Disease landed me in the hospital for the first time since I was diagnosed in 1988. Without thinking twice, my father picked me up at around 3AM and took me to the ER. After hours of waiting and tests, pokes, and prods, the doctor explained to me that they weren’t sure if I was going to need more surgery, but they were definitely admitting me through that night. He explained some possible scenarios, and asked me if I had any questions. My one question: “Will I be able to watch the Bruins game tonight?”

He laughed and replied, “That’s your question?”, and I assured him it was really the only thing I cared about. Afterall, it was Bruins-Habs game 6 and the B’s needed to force a game 7. The Bruins won, I did get to watch the game, and my dad gave his tickets up to be with me in the hospital.

  1. The day after I turned 21, my father took me to a Bruins-Rangers game. Like many games, we got there early so my dad could take pictures of warm-ups. I positioned myself right up against the glass so I was in the line of vision of the Rangers players taking their first turn of their warm-up skate. Mark Messier took the ice and I focused on him, hoping he would look at me as he made his turn. When we was less than five feet from me, he looked right at me and I instantly flipped him off. He looked startled, I smiled, and could not wait to tell my father. I also met Denis Leary after the game.
  2. One of the many things I love about my mother is watching Bruins games with her. Many times when I was in high school, we would have a bunch of friends over to watch Bruins playoff games. My friends that had not watched a game with us found out very quickly from my mom that it is okay to swear during a Bruins playoff game. Also, if the Bruins scored first, you better believe you were sitting in that seat for the rest of the game. She also made popcorn one playoff game that the Bruins won, and that became a tradition she continued all the way to today...which I’m sure it contributed to the Bruins Winter Classic OT win.

2 comments: