THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED!

All of my 365 t-shirts from 2010

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

T-shirt #6: Careful, or you'll end up in my novel.

My Aunt Carol got me this shirt a few years ago…It reminds me of the quote “When a person dies, a library burns” and how although I want to get my “library” out there, I have no control over my writing. I do not choose who or what I am going to write about, things just come to me. I have never sat down and said, “Okay, I am going to write now…”. Even with this daily t-shirt blog, I am figuring it out as I go. I don’t know if my writing will ever catch up with all of my thoughts, memories, and feelings, but I’m hoping writing daily will help get me closer.

I write about whatever inspires me in whatever form it comes. It may be a poem about a pretty smile, a Family Guy Episode about Crohn’s Disease, an essay about why hockey is the best sport (which it is, don’t even try to convince me otherwise), or a song about being a Star Wars dork. It may be about something I love, something I hate, something I wish, or something I don’t understand.

I have written and will continue to write about things I have been through. Some of these include my Crohn’s, cancer, problem drinking, being hit by a Ford Bronco, living with ghosts, and trying to live without regret. The hope being I can help readers who are going through something similar.

Stephen King put it best in his book On Writing when he said writing is simply “telepathy, of course”. It is a way two people who are not in the same place or time can communicate. That’s what I want to do with my writing. I want to share my stories, my ideas, my passions. Ultimately, I’d like to change the world with writing. But, for now, I’ll settle for trying to make people laugh or just think, while amusing myself.

So back to the shirt…no one is safe. You can be careful all you want, but if you have made me smile, laugh, cry, question, or want to cross-check you in the face, I am probably going to write about you at some point. I will change names, but I will not change stories (unlike that A Million Little Pieces shithead). I look forward to continuing my quest to build a book that can make the world a better place, and I hope you will keep coming along with me…

PS-That is my parent's dog Trinity with me, she's a Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier

No comments:

Post a Comment