THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED!

All of my 365 t-shirts from 2010

Sunday, June 6, 2010

T-shirt #157: RELAY FOR LIFE (Survivor)

This shirt is from last year’s Relay for Life. When my sister Carolyn asked me how you get a purple shirt, I laughed and told her, “You just have to beat cancer.”

The best part of Relay for me is taking the “Survivor’s Lap” with all of the Hope Lodge guests, past and present. I get to celebrate the lives of those I work and have worked with as we walk around to the crowd’s applause. It’s really freakin’ great (I know, I’m a poet).

Another part of Relay I really enjoy is the luminaries lining the track. My mother always buys one and puts my name on it and I always make ones for my friends Justin and Danny, who lost their battles with cancer when I was a junior in college. Last year when we were lining up the bags, I made sure the one my mom made for me was between the ones I had made for Justin and Danny. Later on during the Relay, a woman approached my boss and asked her who had put the luminary out for Justin. Deb motioned over to me and I was quickly reunited with Justin’s mother. Seriously, it felt like something out of a movie…really freakin’ amazing.

The Hope Lodge team will be participating in this year’s Relay for Life at Burncoat High in Worcester on Friday June 18th through Saturday the 19th. If you would like to support me and our team, you can donate here: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10National?px=7135674&pg=personal&fr_id=23379

If you would like to specifically donate to Hope Lodge and my “Skating for Hope” fundraiser (It’s going to be just like Relay, but on ice, and I plan to skate for all 24 hours), you can do that here:



No comments:

Post a Comment